March 23, 2019
Mobile UK urges greater use of public assets in response to Coast to Capital consultation on its Strategic Economic Plan
Mobile UK is pleased to have been invited to respond to the Coast to Capital LEP’s consultation on its strategic economic plan. In our response, we urge the LEP to consider the continued roll-out of 4G technologies in addition to its aspiration for 5G deployment. Mobile UK further stressed the importance of cooperation and collaboration with MNOs and included the following suggestions that we believe will help with delivery of mobile infrastructure:
- Assist in the delivery of mobile infrastructure through both public and private funds
- Develop a stronger collective voice as a region around digital infrastructure
- Seek to develop a policy statement for local authorities to take advantage of opportunities to use/re-use existing public-sector assets to deliver improved connectivity, including the use of street furniture and ducting
- Work with private providers to encourage the roll-out of fibre, particularly around new developments (housing and business parks) (Mobile UK would suggest this should also consider mobile sites, and that fibre is essential to underpin wider mobile rollout)
- Leadership role for digital connectivity / digital champions or a Chief Digital Officer
Notes to Editors
- Mobile UK is the trade association for the UK’s mobile network operators - EE, O2, Three and Vodafone.
About Building Mobile Britain
Building Mobile Britain is a campaign created by Mobile UK seeking to work with national and local government, as well as interested industry groups to overcome the challenges we face with expanding the existing mobile networks, while also developing innovative services for customers.
See here for further information - or #BuildingMobileBritain
Head of Policy and Communications
Tel: 07887 911 076